Ask A Planner Travis Resized

Gifts From Your IRA

Article Type: Ask a Planner

Q: Should I give to my church from my IRA?

A: If you are 70 ½ or older, the now-permanent IRA charitable rollover is a smart and powerful way to give to your local church.

This special provision allows you to make tax-free distributions from your individual retirement accounts, up to a maximum of $100,000 per year. Gifts made through the IRA charitable rollover count toward your annual required minimum distribution, and you’ll reduce your taxable income, whether or not you itemize.

Q: How do I make a gift to my church through an IRA charitable rollover?

A: Simply contact your IRA plan administrator, and inform them you want to make a charitable gift directly to your church.

Have Questions?
Schedule your complimentary, confidential conversation with a Barnabas Foundation planner by calling 888.448.3040 or email